Thursday, November 3, 2011

Don't those things hurt your feet??

So I've become a VFF runner and as a VFF runner I've gotten many comments from other runners since I got them in November of 2010, especially during a race. The most common being:

1. I like your shoes!! (Usually from little kids)
2. How do you like your VFFs?
3. I can't believe you can run in those!
4. I could never run in those things! (Usually said to another runner as I'm passing)
5. How do your feet feel?
6. Don't those things hurt your feet?

Lets discuss the last comment. Don't those things hurt your feet?

Well initially they did when I was first transitioning into them. I was pounding my feet on the pavement making a loud slapping noise with every step. My feet would be OK during the run (Probably from going numb) but afterwards my feet pretty much knew how it felt to be tenderized like a piece of meat in a prep kitchen. Although I knew and read that the key to running in VFFs was soft landings I was not doing this. Rather I was over striding and focusing on landing mainly on my forefoot causing great pain in that area after all my runs. As well as the pain I started having shin splint issues. SHIN SPLINTS with VFFs I didn't even think that this was possible! But like I wrote about on my previous post about the HHM I found out that my over striding and forefoot landing was causing this so I changed it up to a normal stride and focused on landing more midfoot and spreading the contact of my total foot with the ground which lead to soft landings. After that change I didn't have any pain during the run or after the run and knew I had made the correct decision to go minimalist by way of the VFFs.

So to go through the comments again I can respond with:

1. I like your shoes!! THANK YOU, I LIKE THEM TOO
2. How do you like your VFFs? LIKE EM' I LOVE THEM.
3. I can't believe you can run in those! YOUR EYES DON'T LIE
4. I could never run in those things!  MAYBE YOU CAN'T BUT I SURE CAN.
5. How do your feet feel? THEY FEEL FINE.
6. Don't those things hurt your feet? NOPE NOT ANYMORE.


No comments:

Post a Comment