Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sugarland Half Marathon 2014


Signed up for this race a looooooooong time ago. They had a special for the first 200 runners and it was only like $30 to run so despite it being 6 days before my full marathon I signed up. Yes I am a sucker for a deal. Wanted to just take it easy and save my legs for the Gusher marathon so to insure that, I brought along my GoPro camera. Yes it's light but after 13.1 miles of carrying the GoPro it does get annoying and I definitely won't be carrying it during the Gusher marathon. 

Anyways, to the race! It was 75 degrees and 90% humidity to start. UGH! Conditions sucked and since I'm a big guy and overheat quickly it wasn't going to be such a great race for me and I knew it. My plan was to keep the pace from 10:45 - 11:00 pace for the whole race. The route takes you from the Sugarland town center down to a fancy neighborhood with some of the biggest mansions that I've ever seen where we do two loops and then head back to the town center to finish. There are not many spectators on the course but because its a loop you can cheer on your fellow runners and of course the volunteers are always cheering their hearts out for all the runners.


I finished in 2:24 which is right at at 10:59 pace so I was successful but it was suppose to be an easy 13.1 miles at an easy pace which it wasn't. I think a mixture of me riding 30 miles the day before, the heat, humidity, and poor nutrition on the run led me to have a tougher time than I should have had. I'll take it easy this next week and rest up the legs so I can have a successful Gusher marathon on Saturday.


My edited GoPro footage of the the Sugarland Half Marathon. 13.1 miles in 7 minutes. Enjoy!



Here's a trailer for the GoPro footage I took during the race. I should have the full thing edited some time next week. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment