Monday, March 11, 2013

GTS's RUNNER'S SPOTLIGHT: APRIL FOX

We have many great runners on the Golden Triangle Strutters. I've decided to start "Runner's Spotlight" as to share a little more info on the runners/walkers in the group. This Runner's Spotlight focuses on our NEWBIE STRUTTER OF THE YEAR - April Fox. I asked her a few questions and this is what she had to say.

1. What got you into running?

I originally started running for weight loss. I lost 20 pounds before my wedding last year in July then I hit a plateau & could not budge the scale. I was already playing tennis a couple times a week & meeting with a trainer at the gym. The only thing I could think of was to attempt to become a runner- again (I had tried in the past but failed after a few weeks). I saw a post on Facebook that Richard Simmons was coming to town for the Julie Proctor 5K at the end of September & thought it would be really cool to get a picture with him! I realized the only way was to run the 5K. So, I downloaded a couch to 5K app on my phone & got started. I could not run a lap around the track at the time & the first few weeks were tough. I was behind schedule & didn't think I would ever make it up to 3 miles. I was running by myself until I found the Golden Triangle Strutters on Facebook a few weeks before the race. Willie paced me on the first run & told me to slow down... like really slow down - to a 12 min pace. I thought he was crazy because I thought I was already going slow but I figured he had a little more experience than me so I listened. Jeremy paced me the second time & also slowed my pace. I was amazed at how much farther I could go when I slowed down! After that it was like someone pushed fast forward on my training. My runs were getting longer & my pace was getting better without trying.

2. How do you find motivation and time to run?

I am my own motivation. Every time I run I try to beat either a previous pace or distance from a past run. Meeting with the Strutters every week is also motivation for me! My lunch hour is from 1:00-2:00 & when I get back to my desk I am antsy till 5:00 to get my running clothes on to meet the group. I make time after work to get my runs in. I'm hoping to become a morning runner but I'm not a morning person so that is definately going to be a challenge.

3.  What advice would you give to new runners?

I still comsider myself a beginner so I dont feel like I have the experience to give advice but I guess it would be to slow down & work on endurace. Pace will come later. That helped me tremendously!

4. What is your proudest athletic moment? 

My proudest athletic moment was completing my first half marathon at The Gusher this past weekend. I still can't believe I did it!

5. What are you training for? 

At the moment I am not training for anything! These last few weeks all I could think about was getting through The Gusher half. Now that it is over I need to set another goal. I definately want to do another half before summer & it gets too hot.

6. What is something we might not  know about you?

Something you don't know about me? Hmmm... that's a hard one. Most of my running friends don't know I make jewelry on the side. Sweet P's Jewelry is the name of my company & you can find it on Facebook. 

Thank you April for sharing!

You can meet April and the rest of the Golden Triangle Strutters on our runs every Mon/Wed at 5:30 pm. Check out our FB page for more details. www.facebook.com/gtstrutters

1 comment: