Monday, February 17, 2014

Adidas miCoach Smart Run watch: INITIAL THOUGHTS


I just received the new Adidas miCoach Smart Run watch to review. I saw they were releasing this watch back in October of 2013 and have been wanting to get my hands on it. This watch is Adidas's first foray into the Smart watch/GPS watch territory.

UNBOXING



INITIAL THOUGHTS:

This is a $400 GPS/Smart Watch so what does that get you? Well it's a GPS watch, MP3 Player, and has its own built in Heart Rate monitor. Luckily I already own a Bluetooth headset as you need one in order to utilize the MP3 player and audible coaching cues from miCoach. 

On the run it acquired GPS signal in about a minute and worked like any other GPS watch. The one thing that sets this watch from apart from other GPS watches is the miCoach workouts that you can add to it. I added the marathon training plan and really enjoyed the audio cues that told you what HR zone you were in. It would also tell you to either slow your HR up or down according to the workout you were doing. 

The battery life doesn't seem all that great right now and that's after the newest update. I took it out for a 17 mile run without using the "marathon mode" and it was pretty much dead after 3:30 of use. If you've read any of my other reviews I love the metric of an instant average pace per lap. This is also missing.

PROS:

  • MiCoach Real-time coaching feature
  • Built-in Heart rate monitor
  • Mp3 Player built-in
CONS:
  • Battery life
  • Pricey
  • Not waterproof
Specifications:


- Real-time cardio coaching with miCoach training plans created by elite coaches; Animated strength and flexibility training; Customisable training data screens; Workout review; Watch and timer function; 4GB memory for music and data

- Coaching delivered via visual messages; For audible coaching and music a wireless headset is sold separately

- Fully integrated strap-free heart-rate sensor; GPS-based speed, distance, cadence and route; Single-button user interaction; Invisible sync 
to miCoach.com for automatic updates; miCoach SMART RUN requires internet access over WLAN for initial setup and da

- Display: 1.45” full colour transflective TFT LCD, 184px x 184px touch screen; Battery: 410mAh lithium ion, charging time max 4 hrs

- Usage: Training mode (1 second data & music) up to 4hrs; Marathon mode (5 seconds data) up to 8hrs; Casual mode (watch only) up to 14 days

- Materials: Soft touch silicon strap, stainless steel bezel, buckle and detailing, magnesium backplate; Weight: 2.8 ounces

I'll have a full review in a couple of weeks after I put in more runs and get to know the watch better. 

2 comments:

  1. I love my Fitbit Blaze Smart Fitness Watch which I was able to purchase when my last wearable tech got lost while I was traveling. What I love about this gear is that it's sleek and streamlined. The interface is simple and easily syncs to my other gadgets. Just last month, my sister bought her own Fitbit Surge Fitness Superwatch and it was great-looking! I've seen the reviews on most fitness gear here and they're very useful: http://myoutdoorslife.com/gear/fitness/best-activity-tracker-watch.html

    ReplyDelete