Tuesday, June 18, 2013

GTS Runners Spotlight - Lionel Briggs


Lionel has been a main stay in the running community for a long while.  If he is not winning AG awards at the races he can usually be seen volunteering and cheering at local events.

When did you start running?

I've been running ever since I was a kid and have ran through Elementary school, Junior High, and High School. 

I've always been on the track team and have loved running.

What is your favorite distance?

My favorite distance is the 5k because it's a short distance.  It's still like a distance race but at the same time very challenging. Even though it is 3 miles it's more of a sprint to me. 

What is one of your proudest running moments?

Last year I qualified for the senior olympics in Lake Charles, Louisiana. I competed in the track meet, won the 1500, and was 2nd in the 800m because of that I qualified to go to the Senior Olympics next month in Ohio.  Not sure if I'm going to go yet but I wanted to see if I could qualify and I did.

What advice would you give to beginning runner's?

If you are a beginner be patient and really take it easy. 
Once you run a little bit more you'll start to feel competitive.
That competitiveness will get you to train harder to achieve personal goals.
Important key is to just work at it and you will get better.

Why do you like running with the Golden Triangle Strutters? 

I love it!!  I really love the people I run with because they are warm and welcoming to all levels.  It's really a lot of fun.




Check out past runners spotlight's!



1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! He should definitely do the senior olympics! How often will that opportunity present itself?!

    ReplyDelete